Saturday, March 27, 2010

pretty tough week

Right, so I have written quite a lot and it suddenly "disappeared" so I'm writing this all over again.

I want to thank my GIT and GUT tutor block, namely dr. Christa and dr. Darwin, for their guide throughout these two blocks.



dr Darwin's PBL Class


Personally, these two blocks were a challenge. My circadian rhythm was not normal, sometimes I was able to study until late, but sometimes I was too tired that I slept the whole night and woke up just in time to prepare myself for class. Sometimes I wasn't very prepared for PBL class, hence wasn't really able to speak very much.

I admit that I wasn't able to study enough for GUT MCQ. Three nights before the exam week, which was Friday night, I had some trouble with my intestines. I felt severe pain in the abdomen area (it was unspecific, pain were in different areas during these three nights) and always at around 9 or 10pm. It got worse on Sunday night. The pain came four times, which was at 9, 1030, 12 and 1 pm. Monday morning, I decided to call dr. Darwin for diagnosis and for some drugs. He said that bacteria were trying to penetrate my intestinal mucosa but it failed, therefore I felt pain several times in three days. I was told not to eat high-fibered food, such as veggies, and had to eat porridge and food of the same sort, until I didn't feel any pain. I did feel better and was able to study, but still felt mild pain in the suprapubic area until Thursday night. Last night, I was very sleepy at 8pm so I head to bed at 830, so I don't really know whether it is still painful or not.

So two weeks ago, which was the week before exam, I was trying to study, but I wasn't really in the mood yet. My friend, though, recommended me to just start compiling my notes so that it will be easier for me to study during the weekend. And thank you, it did helped me and it did make me more enthusiastic to study :)

During those several days when I was feeling unwell, I was too focused to study GIT MCQ exam and I lacked studying for GUT MCQ. So here is a rough schedule of the weekend before exam week:

Friday night: GIT MCQ
Saturday: GUT MCQ + OSPE
Sunday: GIT + GUT
Monday: GIT + a bit of OSPE

So basically, I am quite satisfied with my GIT exam, but I’m quite unsure of how I did and I’m honestly quite nervous to wait for the results to be published. Based on my experience with the last three exams last semester (Musculoskeletal, Cardiology and Respirology), thought I did quite well in musculoskeletal, but turned out that it was just so-so. As with GUT exam, I admit was a bit messed up because I was still on my 65th problem 15 minutes before the time limit of the exam. I rushed through the last 15 questions, I kind of schemed through the question without thinking very carefully of the answer. I simply messed up. I’m not quite sure which questions I spend most of my time with.

One thing that I regret the most, I underestimated OSPE. Thought I will do great in OSPE, but turned out that it was just okay. The night before OSPE, I wasn’t in the mood to study. Forced myself to read parasite guide book, but with no luck. Then I decided to watch American Idol on StarWorld. About 10 minutes of watching TV, my friend texted me, saying that Upin Ipin is on TV. So then I switched channel although my youngest sister complained because she rather watch American Idol than Upin Ipin which was very “geje”. Throughout the hour, I switched the TV between American Idol and Upin Ipin. I laughed so hard watching Upin Ipin and probably the hardest laugh that I had since a few days due to exam stress and all that. I think watching Upin Ipin was kind of necessary to release the stress and pressure that I felt because of exams. I don’t know whether I should regret watching TV or not because I’m supposed to do well in histology questions, but I think I lost one or two points there. And pathology questions, think I’m just okay with it although I think I lost a few points as well there. Maybe I could’ve done better if I study rather than watching TV? But I did try to study and it didn’t work. So maybe it was necessary to have some entertainment for one hour or so? Because a moment after I finished watching TV, I was very sleepy that I decided to sleep and had my cell alarm at 12. As usual, I slept throughout the entire night and woke up to find that it was already 4.50 in the morning. I panicked, studied for OSPE for about half an hour or so, then prepared to depart to FK campus.

I think it’s quite enough about exams?

During the exam week, I did manage to write a composition. It wasn’t purely my words, but a compilation of lyrics from three songs that I have been listening to over and over again. It’s entitled “Greatest of All”, so here it is:


It's not the flowers, it's not the ring
There's nothing in all the world I need
To a brighter day in the sun

I've been down, now I'm blessed
In your arms, I found a strength inside me
You saved my heart from being broken apart
And in your eyes, there's a light to guide me

You're the answer when i prayed
All my dreams are in your eyes

You could give me wings to fly
And catch me if I fall
You gave your love away
And nothing will keep me away

I won't give up on this feeling
I know what's real cannot be denied
All I want is to hold you forever
'Cause your love is the greatest gift of all


Complication of lyrics from:
The Greatest Gift of All (Jim Brickman & Michelle Wright)
Inside Your Heaven (Carrie Underwood)
The Gift (Jim Brickman & Martina McBride)
I Still Believe (Hayden Panettiere)


So another new block is coming up (Endocrinology), another five more exams are coming up as well plus my grandparents’ 50th anniversary and after all these, summer holiday is coming! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment