Sunday, March 7, 2010

make a change :)

Up until now, I still haven't figure out how I'm going to surprise my grandpa besides of sending him a birthday cake. Maybe I'll just stick to that plan, but I still hope I'm able to come up with a better and more "surprising" plan.


Last night I went to GI to attend six of my friend's birthday and it was short notice. Got the sms from a friend at about 3.30 pm and the invitation was dinner at 7. However, I'm grateful that I'm able to go because transportation is often a problem when my friends ask me out. Last night my youngest sister also met her friend at GI so both of my parents decided to go both to drive us and to look around.


Okay, so yesterday my dad mentioned about "solidarity". According to the dictionary in my cell, it says that solidarity is the uniting of interests, feelings or actions (of a group). Since he brought up that word, I thought about it for quite some time. Through my eyes, solidarity sometimes isn't maintained nowadays. I'm not trying to point out certain people, but it is visible wherever you are and whenever it is. When you think you've got it, keep it and try very hard to maintain it because it is very hard to get but easy to let go. The principle is similar to friendship. Well solidarity is actually one of the factors contributing to friendship, the foundation to be exact.


Friendship without solidarity won't stay long (at least that's what I think). Friendship without trust and loyalty won't stay long as well. It's sometimes complicated and for most of the time, problems in friendship strengthen the bond in between one to another, but sometimes it separates. As one quote says "there is a thin line between love and hate". It's true. One who hates someone else might fall in love with each other sometime later. On the other hand, when you think you've got "the one" you've been looking for but then you're separated for one or other reasons, the love you once had might turn to hatred. It does happen.


Speaking of which, family is the best every now and then. Experiences have proven it's majorly what you need until the end of time.

Family will always be there for you

Family will always have your back

Family will always give you the best that you need

Family will always be the first in "SOS"


Why?


Because..

Who was the first to see you being brought to this hectic world?

Who witness you grow from a tiny human being into what you are now?

Who is your only witness (besides God) of all your failure and success since you were born?

Who directly and indirectly contributed and sacrificed to make you as you are now since you were born?

I'm sure and I believe that the answer to the entire above question is:

FAMILY, especially your parents.

When you look deeper to each individual in this world, I'm sure most of them will put friends on top of family in most cases. If you compare friends and family, I'm sure it would be a never ending list and I'm sure that almost all the comparison will "shift" to family, although a quote said that "friendship is the greatest of all blessings".


When we were still young, our parents are often upset because of our actions and would often punish us. We were too young to understand that behind all those, they love us and care about us. They want us to be a better person, they want us to put "good image" of ourselves in others' eyes and above all, they want us to succeed.


I know this statement has been heard many and many times, but I bet some might not have realize it because they would still blame (and sometimes shout to) their parents every time something goes wrong.


Do they know or remember how their parents struggle to raise them?

Do they even care how their parents feel when their being shouted by their own child?


Although I'm not yet a parent, I do feel hurt every time I see a son or daughter does that to their parents, no matter where it is. I just feel that every child should honor, or at least respect, their parents sometime in their life.


It doesn't have to be a huge party, a huge amount of money (in bank cheque or similar), or a huge banner or billboard saying "I love you, Mom & Dad" to express a child's gratefulness to their parents.


A simple surprise birthday cake, excelling in school, greeting them "good morning" and "good night", spending time with them to chat or walk around the mall, waiting for them from work while watching TV and greeting them "Hi, Mom" or "Hi, Dad" on their arrival from work are a few examples of the simplest way a child may do just to make their parents happy. Maybe it's a bit awkward, but giving a "good bye" and "see you later in the afternoon" kiss to your parents before you go off to school or class might do a little "magic" for them that day. They won't expect you to do that, do they? Or you can text them some time during your free time in school or university, asking how's their day so far, how things are going in the office, or how their lunch and that sort of questions. Be creative :)


I did surprise my parents a couple of times and although I failed a few times, they said "it's alright, no need to be sad. I'm already thankful for this. I didn't expect a surprise."


So you see, simple things can make people happy :) Why not think about it for a while and try to see what you can do to make your parents happy. It doesn't have to be huge, as I have said before.


Speaking of surprises, have you ever count how many times you make a birthday surprise your friends and count how many times you surprised or at least "did something" to your parents on their special day?


And how many times have you taken a walk with your friends and how many you did with your family (or at least your parents)?


Remember that time is ticking and will continue to tick, and the time for your chances to make your parents happy is not as plenty if you compare the time with your friends….

No comments:

Post a Comment